*This post has affiliate links, which means I get a commission if you choose to purchase through a link I provide (at no extra cost to you!). Thank you very much for supporting the work I put into this site. Read more about it here – Disclaimer
So your precious little baby won’t sleep through the night. What’s really going on?
Does your baby look like this…
…when she should be sleeping?
If so, it could be that your baby doesn’t yet have a nighttime routine. The first step is to work to establish this routine. Some parents like to begin as early as 6-8 weeks old by doing any combination of bedtime activities.
These 8 tips that I am about to share with you will help you create a nighttime routine for baby and get her to sleep a lot longer through the night.
I will also be including links to products that can help this process to go that much smoother.
Baby needs to play so they can burn lots of energy. After a day full of activity, she will be eager to go to sleep. There are many activities that your baby can do. Make sure each activity is age appropriate and that toys don’t pose a health risk or choking hazard.
Tummy time is important for development. Your little one needs 20 to 30 minutes of this each day until they are able to roll over on their own. You can also do tummy time with the designer foam play mats for baby created by Comfort Design Mats. Check out prop-a-pillar tummy time and seated support and Taf Toys Baby Tummy Time Pillow to make tummy time completely painless.
It is really fun for babies to rock themselves. Rockabye plush baby rockers are a great choice for baby! They are so adorable and you can choose from different animals and car shaped rockers.
If you aren’t sure what activities or toys would be age appropriate for your baby you should sign up for the Hoot for Kids subscription box for newborns to 6 years of age. With this subscription box, you can subscribe or receive it one time. The toys and activities are handpicked based on your child’s age and developmental stages.
Walkers and bouncy toys will also do a great job of helping your baby to burn energy and tire out. Summer Infant has a Deluxe 4-in-1 SuperSeat that provides baby with a safe place to sit, snack, and play from approximately 4 months old to 4 years old.
And we can’t forget all the wonderful, educational toys that Amazon sells. Amazon has toys for babies of all ages and developmental stages.
Here are some of my favorite Amazon toys for baby:
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym
- VTech Baby Rattle and Sing Puppy
- Fisher-Price Stand Activity Center
- Playskool Play Favorites Sit ‘n Spin Toy
If you followed the playtime tip baby is likely tired and worn out. Now, it’s time for the fun part. Bathtime. Bathing baby before putting her to bed will help her to relax and sleep better.
Here are some pretty cool bathtubs that we recommend:
- My Bath Seat – this is obviously more of a seat than a tub but paired with your bathtub it will help serve the same purpose.
- Right Height Bath Tub
- Lil Luxuries Whirlpool, Bubbling Spa & Shower – This tub comes with the works. Your baby is sure to love it!
- Clean Rinse Baby Bather – this bather comes in a few different colors
Top bath time off with a massaging bath brush for baby to help soothe her.
After bathing baby, be sure to lotion them down with Johnson & Johnson’s bedtime lotion or another lotion of your choice. This also adds to the relaxation plus it makes baby smell great!
3. Dress Comfortably
Dress baby in something comfortable. Keep in mind how cool or warm your home gets and dress baby appropriately. You want to be sure that your baby doesn’t get too cold or overheats in the middle of the night. A good way to be sure baby is comfortable and the temperature is just right is by purchasing the Gro-Egg 2 Digital Room Thermometer & Night Light or the LittleHippo Kelvin Color Changing Nursery Night Light, Customizable Room Thermometer and Hygrometer for Children/Kids.
Many babies like to be swaddled because it reminds them of being inside the womb. If your baby enjoys being swaddled here are some swaddle blankets that we recommend:
- Primewe Warm Animal Pattern Swaddle Blanket
- Primewe Ultra Soft Muslin Swaddle Blanket
- CuddleBug Muslin Swaddle Blankets
- BaeBae Goods Adjustable Infant Swaddle Blankets
- The Natural Baby Company Copper Pearl Knit Swaddle Blanket – Comes in so many pretty colors!
- Summer Infant SwaddleMe Original Swaddle – A variety of gorgeous prints.
- Baby K’tan Newborn Swaddle
- Ergobaby Swaddlers
- Happiest baby Sleepea 5-Second Swaddle
- GoMamaGoDesigns Snug & Tug Swaddling Blankets
- Project Nursery Swaddle Blankets
- Nested Bean Zen Sleepwear – Swaddle, Sack, Footie, and Bodysuit
This may not be something you have thought of but baby sleeping bags can serve the same purpose as swaddle blankets. These are great to use on a cold, wintry night.
Here are two great sleeping bags:
There are some babies who do not like being swaddled. They not with it. In such cases, a simple baby nightgown will suffice.
It’s eat, eat time! You should give baby her last bottle about 30 minutes before you put her down for bed.
If baby is able to sit up in a high chair, here are 3 recommended high chairs:
- Bloom Baby Fresco High Chairs – there are different colors, even a special edition!
- Project Nursery 4moms High Chairs
- Pish Posh Baby Modern High Chairs
Can’t forget bibs! I know how much you would hate for baby to get dirty after just giving her a bath. The Natural Baby Company has Copper Pearl Baby Bandana Bibs that are so cute! If your baby normally takes a pacifier then you want to give it to her after she’s done eating to help her sleep. She may not want it so don’t try and force her to take it.
5. Read a Story and Sing
It is more personal if you hold baby while you read and sing to her. However, some babies fall asleep easier when they are placed in a rocker or a bouncer. My suggestion is to not let her fall completely asleep in a rocker or bouncer.
To read a story you need books, right? I figured you would. That’s why I found some really great places to get children books from:
- The Natural Baby Company – Books for babies
- Amazon – books for children of all ages
- Epic! Creations – books for children 5 and under
Youtube has a great collection of lullabies that will sing your baby right to sleep.
Now, it is time to put your little one down for bed. Try not to hold her until she is completely asleep. Let her get drowsy, then put her to bed and allow her to fall asleep on her own.
Place baby in a safe and comfortable sleeping area.
We recommend these great baby sleepers:
- SNOO Smart Sleeper by Happiest Baby – This is truly the smartest sleeper. Go check out all the great benefits and why moms love this sleeper!
- Summer Infant Swaddle Me By Your Side Sleepers – This sleeper is pretty awesome too. Go check out all the perks!
- Pish Posh Baby Portable Cribs, Cradles and Bassinets
- Halo Bassinet Swivel Sleeper by Pish Posh Baby
You can find bassinet sheets here.
Docks by Dockatot can be a great place for baby to nap.
You may prefer for baby to sleep in a crib instead. Here are some great crib choices:
- Bloom Baby Alma Mini Crib Frame – They even have bedding!
- Project Nursery Cribs – They also have crib sheets and crib skirts.
To help your precious darling to sleep better and inhale cleaner air you may want to purchase a humidifier.
Here are some of our humidifiers recommendations you may like:
- Project Nursery Humidifiers Collection – There are so many great ones to choose from.
- Primewe Cold Mist Humidifier
- Amazon VicTising Cool Mist Humidifier
A lot of babies like a little noise when they sleep but some babies don’t. If your baby likes complete silence when she sleeps but your house is always noisy, then you should invest in a pair of noise-canceling baby headphones.
Sound machines and sound soothers will soothe baby and help her to fall asleep and stay asleep. Here are some great choices:
8. Night Lights
A lot of babies despise sleeping in the dark. So you might want to give them a little light or they will not be a happy camper for long.
The sound soother + night light is a really great option. It’s the best of both worlds.
But, if you prefer to keep the sound soother and night light separate here are two recommendations:
9. Baby Monitors
Baby monitors are a must-have if you are going to leave baby alone at all. If baby is going to sleep in your room while you’re in the kitchen cooking or cleaning the house, make sure you use a baby monitor so you can have eyes on her at all times.
- Project Nursery Baby Monitors
- Amazon Baby Monitors
- Primewe Baby Monitors
- Summer Infant Video and Audio Monitors
In the beginning, it can be hard to get baby to sleep through the night. It is important that you develop a nightly bedtime routine and stick with it. Baby will get used to this routine and start associating certain activities with bedtime. Let baby play, play, play so she can tire herself out and get a good rest later. Since babies often wake up early it is important that you set an early bedtime for her or else she’ll be grumpy when she wakes. Bathe her, lotion her up, and put her in weather appropriate clothing. While feeding her you should read her a story or sing to her. If you would like to be hands-free when feeding so you can hold a book or phone you should invest in a hands-free baby bottle holder.